It’s not a secret that I don’t like Christmas maybe, because nowadays it is oriented on buying… People buy a lot of cheap, plastic crap and all that ends up being dumped at the end of the season. Every year Christmas stock is displayed earlier and earlier and it ruins the festive spirit. However, I still celebrate a little with my family and decorate home and buy some presents and pack them.
I would like to show you that there are alternative ways to decorate your home and pack the presents in this festive season.
- Natural Wreaths. This year I made a wreath myself from pine cones. It took me a while but it was worth the effort (you can check it on my Instagram account). If you don’t have the time or will to do them yourself there is plenty to choose from on your local market. They can be composted so they don’t end up floating in the Ocean.
2. Repurpose and use what you already have the only limit is your imagination. You can change the look of your last year’s Christmas decoration like on the picture below. I also like the idea of using books as a Christmas tree.
3. Use natural materials like cones, nuts pine branches. They add texture to your Christmas table, look good and stylish without spending money.
4. Bake your decorations. Why not make the little gingerbread with your kids? Your house will smell amazing, children will have great memories… and they look gorgeous too. The Internet is full of recipes on how to make them so it is really easy these days.
5. Pack your presents wisely. Wrapping paper is not recyclable so better to avoid buying it. You can still pack the presents using brown paper, newspapers or some leftover fabric.
6. Potted Christmas tree. When I was a child we had few times a small pine trees in pots. After Christmas, we then planted them in the garden and they actually grew big (well then someone cut them and stole before Chrismas but that’s not the point here). I think it is a really sustainable way to have a Merry Chrismas in style.
That was my few ideas on how to spend this festive time of the year more consciously. I hope you will have a really nice time with your family and friends without unnecessary pressure.
Merry Christmass Everyone! And thanks for reading my post,