Decorating a house is definitely a woman’s thing. Making a house a home is in our nature since the beginning of humanity. This gives us joy and makes us proud. We like if someone appreciates our effort and men seem not to care. But don’t they really?
Every time I see cute shabby chic living room with floral sofa, pink accents and white, distressed furniture I wonder how the man of the house feels in this room. I imagine him going back home after the long day at work and… Actually I cannot imagine that though I am very creative and I have rich imagination. He wants to relax on the sofa but there’s so many statement pillows so he throws them on the floor… I mean what else can he do with them? Then he wants to watch tv or read a book (yeah right, he’s tired after work) but tufted sofa is so uncomfortable, he had his favourite, comfy chair but it didn’t mach the decor… And this goes on and on…
Ladies you are not gonna like what I have to say: please consider your other half when decorating a house. I know it is not that easy but there are some things you should reconsider:
- Fluffy fur pillows- they’re good in your daughter’s room or she-shed but not in the living room (plus they’re home for dirt, hair and allergens)
- Floral sofas- imagine him with his male friends watching the game on it
- Pink accents (obviously)
- Mirrored furniture- I mean we have enough mirrors around the house plus they are hard to keep clean
- Painted white, distressed, shabby chic furniture
- Patterned wallpaper- especially floral, damask, fleur-de-lis
- Too many accent pillows (they take up space and usually they will end up on the floor and you will be annoyed again)
- All white room (men perceive colour differently most of them don’t distinguish slight tonal difference between white/ivory/cream their brain won’t be stimulated)
This post is just my opinion and shouldn’t be treated too seriously. Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t let my man to decide about everything and definitely I wouldn’t let him to pick the paint colour. There are things we are better at… but they do care about how their home looks like and they want to feel comfortable there. Also there’s so many great male architects, graphic designers, web developers- that prove their attention to detail (so let them test the sofa or bed they will consider every practical aspect). I just think they don’t want to argue over small things and they want to make us happy and surely there is little something we can do to make them feel good at home. After all love is all that matters.
I am curious what are your thoughts on that? Are you asking your man about their opinion? Is there something you would add to the list? Please leave me a comment below.
Thanks for reading,